Following a series of Rust-related events (from Introduction to Rust to two sessions of Rust Hack & Learn), a call for RustPH Mentors was done and an initial meeting was held at the Mozilla Community Space Manila (MozSpaceMNL) last Wednesday, 13 Jul 2016.
Among the things discussed in this meeting were:
- Team goals of RustPH
- Frequency of RustPH Mentors meetings
- Communication channels to use
- Planning for the Rust Hack & Learn Session #3
- Identify the support RustPH needs from Mozilla HQ / Rust HQ
- Launch of the RustPH newsletter
- Creation of a blog website for RustPH
The full text of the minutes of meeting is online here. As of this posting, the following are the members of the RustPH Mentors Group:
- Robert “Bob” Reyes (Mozilla Rep) – Team Lead
- Michael Angelo Calimlim
- Kevin Norman Kapchan
- Ricardo Sta. Rita
- Kevin John Ventura (Mozilla Rep)
- Frederick Villaluna (Mozilla Rep)
All members of the RustPH Mentors Group have Computer Science and Information Technology (IT) backgrounds. Most are practicing software engineers/programmers using different programming languages. One thing that is common to all RustPH Mentors: we love learning Rust, and in the process of learning, we aim to help others who are interested in the programming language.
The next meeting of the group is scheduled on Thursday, 04 Aug 2016 7PM at MozSpaceMNL. If you’re interested in sharing your time and talent for this endeavor, please feel free to join our next meeting.